The economy dominates the news these days. From sub prime loan fiascos to the plunge of the dollar to the volatility of the stock market, those who seek to invest wisely in the hope of a reasonable return on their money find scarce cause for optimism. The exception might well be parents who invest in the education of their children.
As the costs of student travel programs continue to rise in the current economic environment, a question can be raised as to whether such expense is justified as any kind of legitimate educational investment and if so, what is the ROI: return on investment?
Your decision to enroll your child on an ISE immersion program is, indeed, a wise investment. Your child receives much more than an airline ticket and the opportunity to see many wonderful sites. The returns on your investment can be quite satisfying, both in the short term and the long term.
Returns you Can Expect
- Cultural competence and the exercise of critical thinking are important long-term goals of the ISE program. The ISE experience is only the first step on a life-long journey to develop these vital skills.
- Your child’s level of proficiency in another language should immediately improve if he or she is true to the program’s immersion goal. Communicative skills in a second or third language are viewed as very desirable by employers in our age of globalization. Fully 100% of ISE parents surveyed feel that their child’s language skills improved because of the program.
- The ISE experience develops a greater sense of maturity and self confidence in students, according to 98% of surveyed parents.
- Experience in another culture promotes greater appreciation of your child’s own culture and leads to a broader world perspective.
- Quality educational materials are provided for all ISE participants. The ISE Culture Toolbox lessons will teach your child about the nature of culture and the impact of globalization on today’s world; updated country-specific units will provide practical information about the people and places being visited and the local way of life.
- The ISE program will inaugurate a personal connection to the world that may well open many doors in the future. Once on the path to international learning, students often discover new options and new possibilities for their lives.
- On the ISE immersion program many students discover new ways of life and thinking; this can be influential in the creation of life-long travel and interest in other places and cultures.
For more than 35 years ISE has been generating positive returns like these in the lives of thousands of students. With proper preparation and motivation to do well, your child will also benefit from your investment in his or her ISE immersion program.